Many of you have heard the term Vinyl numerous times, but you know what exactly Vinyl is? Firstly, let’s go through the overview about the Vinyl and then we will see where it is used extensively.
Infographic source: businessplanvideo.com
Overview: What is Vinyl?
Vinyl comes under the category of Plastic, but it’s a type of Plastic. Vinyl is a man-made synthetic material. Vinyl is made by combining ethylene and chlorine, while further processing it forms a Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) resin or commonly referred to – Vinyl. A fact that Vinyl is more durable and cheaper than any other material, that’s the reason it has become the second largest manufactured and sold plastic resin in the entire world.
Now, you think that after manufacturing a lot of Vinyl – What people do with it and Where it is used Extensively? The Answer is: Vinyl is used extensively in the medical and housing industries because of its awesome properties. Depending on the requirements, Vinyl can be produced in various different colors including transparent & solid.
Let’s go through the medical and housing industries uses of Vinyl on a large-scale.
Medical Uses of Vinyl
- Intravenous Fluid Bags and containers
- Blood bags
- Inhalation Masks
- Dialysis Equipment
- Medical Sealants
- Ear Protectors
- Thermal Blankets
Uses of Vinyl in Housing Industries
- Siding and Window Frames
- Water distribution
- Irrigation and sewer pipe
- Insulation of wire and cable
- Electrical conduit
- Floor and wall coverings
- Gutters and downspouts
- Single-ply roofing
- Landfill liners
- Piping used in food processing, chemical processing and other manufacturing
- Fire-sprinkler piping
So, these above all are the uses of Vinyl in medical and housing industries. Vinyl is also used in making toys and Auto Industry. Now, let’s go through all the properties of Vinyl for better understanding.
Properties of Vinyl
1. As I said, Vinyl is strong and durable plastic material.
2. Vinyl is a kind of Plastic material, so it is resistant to moisture and humidity.
3. Vinyl is inexpensive to produce.
4. Vinyl can be recycled easily, unlike other plastics materials. Due to the durability property of Vinyl, the products made from it has a very long life span.
5. The most amazing property of Vinyl is that it’s an environment friendly material, not only because it can be recycled easily, but also for many other reasons like it helps in preventing environment resources as 50-55 % of Vinyl is made from Chlorine (found in regular salt) and 40-45 % of ethylene (found in crude oil), which makes it nature friendly.
Can you imagine, Vinyl is a man-made synthetic material, though it possesses lots of great properties? In this way, we can say that Vinyl has truly revolutionized the entire plastic resin industry and help us in various fields.